Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Little Things in Life

Today marks day two of the Eat Right Challenge, and I’m doing surprisingly well. Although I shouldn’t say surprisingly. When I put my mind to it, of course I can find success. I just found that I need to make a more conscious effort of it and really try to keep a balance. And I really have to keep in mind that it's a slow and steady process. One day of eating right doesn't mean I'm going to automatically drop 2 pounds overnight.

Last night I went out for dinner, and I should preface this by saying that when I go out to eat, rarely do I order salads. I figure, I’m out to eat, why not splurge and have something that the restaurant is known for – like ribs, steak or what have you. Why waste the trip on just a salad? (This is probably a major flaw in my dieting…)

But last night, you know what I ordered? A salad and a side of fruit. For the first time in quite awhile, I left a restaurant not feeling like I completely blew my day, so that made me happy. It’s funny how the little accomplishments during the day (turning down a fattening dessert, not diving into the fridge after 8 p.m., etc) can really improve your mood and give you a more positive outlook on dieting.

Tomorrow marks my first full week of not drinking any pop. I haven’t decided if I notice a difference or not. I do know that I fall asleep much faster and earlier at night without all that caffeine in my system, so I’m getting a bit more sleep, which in turn makes me miss my morning Diet Coke less. I’ll admit that sometimes I do crave it (okay, I crave it a lot), but I’ve actually replaced it with these little Crystal Light on-the-go packets. They’re doing wonders! I’m drinking so much more water than I normally would, but it doesn’t taste like bland water.

I do wish I could get a bit more physical activity into my day. Physical therapy is definitely starting to take its toll on me, but I can feel my right leg getting stronger. And I know if I keep it up, by the end I’ll be ready to shape up my legs since my right thigh is already getting a killer workout through therapy.

No comments: