Thursday, August 16, 2007

Make the Change Today

I got an e-mail at work today highlighting the fact that 44 million Americans are over weight – and for a variety of reasons. Whether it’s lack of physical activity, larger portion sizes or genetics, millions of people are facing the same struggle with their weight. The message reinforced that you can take control of your health and it really is up to you and your lifestyle choices.

Isn’t it almost daunting to think about how much control you really have over your future? I think that’s the part that scares me the most being as young as I am. I’m 21, and the decisions I made this week could make or break my future.

One of the hardest parts about trying to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle is not being surrounded by people who are doing the same thing. It’s hard to make healthy food choices when you’re eating out with people who have no problem ordering anything on the menu.

My problem is I tend to eat like the people around me do. If friends are eating healthy, I do too. If not, then I’m in trouble. This should be the case. I need to really take control of my health, and in essence my future. Granted one indulgence now and then isn’t going to take years off my life. But I’m not doing myself any favors by indulging in the high-fat foods on a regular basis. I need to start doing what I know is best for me, not copying friends and family.

I always rolled my eyes when the older population said that the young generation always seems to act like their invincible – they take more risks and don’t really think about the long-term consequences. When I heard that I automatically thought about daredevils and people who did crazy, life-threatening stunts – and I certainly didn’t fall into that.

But you know what? We do tend to act like we’re invincible, and not in a daredevil way. We’ll put anything into our bodies – excess fast food, alcohol, sugary foods, high-calorie sodas and sports drink. You name it, we’ve probably tried it. We don’t make health a priority. And that’s dangerous – especially when you see how many health problems, including cancer, are tied to our lifestyle choices. We don’t seem to care about it until it’s too late, and I’m not sure why that is. Is the messaging not out there strong enough for kids? Are we supposed to be picking it up in school? Home? Friends? It is just my generation, or have generations before me had the same struggles? I’m not sure.

I just know that if I want to have a better future, I need to start making better choices today. It’s time to stop eating like everyone else and really make a conscious effort to get in those fruits and veggies, and start liming those high-calorie, high fat foods. And that’s what this challenge is about.

And today marks the official day of the Challenge. Take it on with me. Eat right today. If you screw up, don't beat yourself up over it. Just make sure to start fresh tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You bring up a good point. Based on your last post and this post, it almost sounds like we should be teaching our kids about healthy lifestyle choices at a much younger age. Good luck today, Liz.