Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fads Aren't so Fad

You know, I’ve always wondered why people get into fad diets. From the Atkins diet to the grapefruit diet to the South Beach diet, there just seem to be too many out there to be safe and effective.

I’m lucky in that when I decide I want to lose weight, while I may have urges to try those fad diets, I never all into the trap. Most people talk about how they lose a lot of weight, gain it all back. Lose a lot of weight, gain it all back. That’s never been the case for me.

I think sometimes we forget the purpose of eating healthy. It’s not to lose that last 5 pounds or those first 20 pounds. It’s about learning to be healthy so you can have a better future.

I could go on a fad diet tomorrow for the next month and drop 10-20 pounds. But is that really what I want? At face value, yes. I do want to drop 20 pounds. Not that way, though. What good is losing the weight if it’s just going to come back because it was done unhealthily?

On the ACS website, they make a healthy diet seem managable:


· Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant sources.
· Choose foods and beverages in amounts that help achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
· Eat 5 or more servings of a variety of vegetables and fruits each day.
· Choose whole grains in preference to processed (refined) grains.
· Limit consumption of processed and red meats.

I don’t know about you, but that seems so much easier than just eating all grapefruit or Special K or all meats to avoid carbs. It gives you variety, it gives you choices and it gives you a peace of mind. Nowhere does it say, “Eliminate this and this and this.”

I think that’s what the purpose of the Eat Right Challenge is. An ACS spokesperson was quoted as saying, “Our message is moderation, not deprivation.” People tend to find success when it’s a lifestyle change they can actually live with. Can you honestly tell me you’d be happy eating just red meats the rest of your life?

Next time you’re tempted to try a fad diet, take some time to really think about it. Lose weight for your health, not to fit into a size 4.

No comments: