Saturday, August 18, 2007

On My Way

Guess who lost two more pounds? Always great news.

I took this quiz on the ACS website and found that "Not bad! You're halfway there! You still have a way to go. Look at your NO answers to help you decide which areas of your diet need to be improved or whether your physical activity level should be increased."

That's always exciting. I know it's not a complete change, but I think I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances (not being able to get in physical activity thanks to my knee injury...). There are still many changes I can make in my diet - eating less red meat and processed foods (pasta seems to be my huge weakness), but at least I'm making the right track.

There's a co-worker at ACS who really stresses that unless you're really ready to lose weight, it's not going to happen. She's completely right. You've got to be committed and really want it for yourself - it's got to be your time and on your terms.

I think that's been the problem with me in the past, and even right now. I've never really made it a priority. It's always in the back of my mind, but I always assumed there was more time: "Oh, I'll lose weight during the summer when I have time to workout..." "Oh, I'll focus on it when I'm back at school and can start a new dieting plan..." Even right now, with only two weeks before I move down to school, I keep thinking that I can just eat whatever and then when I get back to school I can start fresh with my roommates keeping me in life.

And you know what? It never works. I can't have those back-up plans for when I'm going to take the extra weight off. I need to make it a here and now effort, and I've got to be ready to make those lifestyles changes that are necessary to not only get down to a healthy weight, but also ward off health problems in the future.

Let's hope this time I'm serious.

No comments: