Monday, August 13, 2007

Woah...What?

You know what I think? I think that healthy lifestyle choices and portion control should be taught at a much, much younger age. That’s something I’m slowly learning through this Eat Right Challenge.

The first time I ever remember being exposed to proper portion sizes was in sixth grade home economics class. The teacher was going through the measuring cups, and when she got to the half-cup, she said, “Next time you get yourself some ice cream, keep in mind that this is one serving size.”

That absolutely blew my mind. The serving seemed so small to me!

Unfortunately, in this day and age, it seems our portions are getting larger and larger. The amount of food we’re being given at restaurants and are consuming even at home is getting out of control. You go out to dinner and half your plate is filled with fries and your cheeseburger is three times the size it once was. It's insane. And yet it's not uncommon for us to clean our plates. Even the kid’s serving is more than necessary, and they haven’t been educated about it. Has anyone really been educated on portion sizes? At what age and where should you be learning that stuff?

I think my problem comes with pasta. Did you know that a half-cup of pasta, the regular serving size, is only the size of a tennis ball? Ouch. My serving of pasta, whether I’m at home or eating out, is definitely not the size of a tennis ball.


Here’s a few tips from the ACS website to watch your portion sizes and a guide for how much you should be eating. Makes you think twice about doubling up or filling your plate…

No comments: