Friday, August 10, 2007

Going Organic?

Does anyone know if a more natural way of eating is beneficial?

I ask because I was looking through a Breast Cancer Wellness Magazine, and in it were 30 tips to lower your risk for breast cancer. Among some of the tips were…

#1 – Eat fresh, organically grown fruits and vegetables everyday
#2 – Eat organic whole grains everyday
#5 – Eat soy-based whole-food products several times a week
#15 – Nix red meat (Women who eat the most red meat have an 88 to 330 percent higher risk of breast cancer)

I didn’t learn this until recently, but eating organic foods is amazing for trying to prevent cancer.

Last semester one of my roommates would only eat organic and natural foods. She said during her first year of college she put on some weight and just didn’t feel healthy. The following year, she cut red meat and milk out of her diet and went strictly to organic eating. After the switch, she felt two hundred times better (and looked amazing).

Is there really a chance that drastic? I mean, I know our society is really big on processed foods, but does organic food really make a huge difference in one’s life? And more importantly, how extreme do you have to be? Does everything you eat have to be organic – from cheese to bread to spaghetti sauce? Are some more beneficial then others, or are you just supposed to pick and chose based on your likes and preferences?

It wasn’t until I got to college that I realized how many people are really serious about eating only organic foods, saying they can taste a “huge difference” when they try to eat processed foods that you and I eat nearly everyday. I’ve always wondered how one gets into eating organic food. Is it a family thing? Is it something you grow up with or is it a choice you make later in life? And why hadn’t I really heard about it before college?

I admit I have slim to no knowledge on organic eating. On occasion I have been curious and tried a few products, and to be quite honest, I didn’t notice a difference. But some people swear by it. Perhaps someday this month as part of the challenge I’ll only eat organic foods. I realize it takes more than a day to really notice a difference, but it could be interesting just to see what can be put into my body. Maybe it would be a good "purifying" process.

No comments: