Monday, October 29, 2007

Next Top Chef?

I've decided I need to start cooking more..

Today at work, one of my co-workers and I were talking about my Diet Coke addiction (in case you're wondering, it's only grown. Last week was really bad with a midterm and two papers... I really just need to go cold turkey.) Anyway, he asked about my eating habits to see if I was at least getting in good health practices there.

Apparently I'm not.

In an average week, I'd say that I only really cook something once or twice. Maybe. And even when I do cook, it's something like Pasta Roni or something from a box. Rarely do I make anything from scratch or truly homework.

Apparently that's a really bad thing. My co-worker almost seem appalled that I would do that to myself. I'll admit it - I'm a fan of popping in a Lean Cuisine or Lean Pockets. Sometimes I'll make rice and pair it with cottage cheese (some people think that's weird, but it's a family thing that I absolutely love.)

I know I need to start eating more natural and healthy foods, but sometimes it's hard. With Lean Cuisines, I know what the calorie count is and that it's somewhat healthy for me - at least according to the numbers. But that shouldn't be my default. I should learn how to make a healthy meal. I should learn to incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables into my meals. I should be picking out things from the grocery story that aren't from a box or a can.

Of course, all this is easier said than done. Does anyone have any website or healthy recipies that they've enjoyed in the last few months? I'm new to this...

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Liz,

Think stir fry. It only takes a few minutes and it's a one-skillet meal.

Regards,

Glenn