Friday, July 20, 2007

The Search Continues

I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of looking for the easy way out. I’ve noticed this more and more as I’ve been trying to lose weight in the past few years.

Losing weight seems simple enough. It all boils down to calories. If I eat 500 calories less a day than I normally eat and burn off 500 calories a day through exercise, I could lose 1-2 pounds a week – which is the healthy way. When I was searching the internet earlier today I found a website that really just laid it out as simple as that.

Despite knowing this, I’m always searching for another gimmick or quick fix. I’m always looking on Amazon for new dieting books, reading the reviews in hopes of finding “The Book” that’s going to help me finally lose weight. Almost every time I go to Barnes and Noble, I have to hit the dieting section. I subscribe to THREE fitness/dieting magazines.

This is ridiculous. I know how to lose weight the healthy way. I know what has to be done. And yet it always feels like I’m looking for that one secret that’s going to help me lose weight. And after years of dieting, I’m still searching. The search of it never stops, though.

Why do you think that is? Are we just wired to try to find the easy way to do things? Is it our society? The way we were raised? What is it?

Maybe it’s just because despite knowing this, I haven’t been able to apply it consistently and religiously. I allow myself exceptions on a daily basis, or so it seems. It scares me that losing weight seems to rely solely on myself – if I can’t do it, it’s my fault. It’s a big responsibility to take on. But hopefully by educating myself more and looking for support from friends and family, I’ll be able to find success.

No comments: