Sunday, July 29, 2007

Priorities, Priorities

Want to know my biggest problem with trying to lose weight? The constant effort it takes, all day, everyday. It really is exhausting. You think you have a great day, and you realize tomorrow is a whole new day, with new temptations and possibilities for new excuses.

As a young woman carrying some extra weight, one of my biggest frustrations are the stereotypes that you can hear all around. I hate the comments that fat people can lose weight if they would just eat right and exercise more. I may not hear them personally, but they’re all around. “If only you would eat less and exercise more…”

That’s partially true. But you have to admit that the task is not nearly as easy as so many people want to make it out to be. They make it seem so damn easy, and if it were really that easy, anyone could do it. But we’re not seeing that in our society.

I’ve struggled with weight and body image for a few years now (mostly because I’m an emotional eater, which I’ll go into in another post.) What’s tough is that while it’s something I want to do, sometimes it gets tough to make it a priority in life. Criticize if you must, (“there’s your reason for not losing weight; make it a priority and maybe you’ll see results”) but weight loss needs constant attention in your life – you really have to examine what you’re putting into your body, how you’re working it off. I just don't know if I have the mentality and patience for it.

Ultimately, good weight loss stems from lifestyle changes. But when you’re changing your lifestyle, it’s not something you can just have in the back of your mind. It takes constant monitoring – but the last thing I want to do is become obsessive. I don’t want to examine every little bite that goes into my mouth or count calories to the nearest decimal point. It’s hard to deal with people like that and I don’t want to be the next in line. I enjoy life too much and have too many other things to worry about.

But how much attention should weight loss take? What does it take to give healthy living a valiant effort? Monitoring every meal? Just ensuring you’re eating a balanced diet? And how do you know what takes priority – can I afford to spend an hour at the gym when I have a test or big project due the next day? What does it take? Maybe someday I’ll find the answer…

1 comment:

dwhitesock said...

So Liz... I've been reading the posts and I'm thrilled you're having this conversation, but by the looks of it, the conversation on the blog has been one way.

So here is my two cents and I apologize up front for the long comment.

For humans, change is hard. Any change seems to be a challenge. In this day and age when we can get something to eat in a matter of seconds without having to put any effort into the meal, makes walking away from that convenience extremely difficult.

In July 2005 I was 235 pounds. I'm barely a hair over 5'8". I should not weigh 235 lbs. At that time, I was also at the height of my alcoholism -- many lose weight when all they do is drink, but for me I was also addicted to food when drunk. So I ballooned.

I had previously tried to quit drinking two times before and lasted 6 months once, but I didn't change anything else around me. I kept the same friends, did the same routine with family, etc. The only difference was I wasn't drinking. In addiction recovery it is pounded into your head that in order to get sober, one has to change the people places and things around them... it HAS to be a TOTAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Sometimes that means ending so-called friendships, quiting a job, telling your family you'll get back to them when your healthy again, becoming (or not becoming) religious, and exercising and eating right.

TOTAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

One has to be committed to the change and seek support. If those around you don't want to join you in the change, by either making changes themselves or simply supporting your new life, then those people need to be compartmentalized in YOUR life.

Recovering from alcoholism is a selfish process. Our society today, because of political correctness, puts a black eye on selfishness, but when it comes to your life, whether it be alcohol or food, there is only one way to be -- selfish. It has to be about you, no one else.

Moral of this story -- it is now 2007 and I celebrated 2 years sober on July 4. In that time, I have attempted to replace my alcohol addiction with food and trying to lose weight myself has been a struggle. But, this morning I weighed myself and I am 180 lbs! I haven't weighed 180 in over 4 years. I have stayed sober and lost the weight because of a TOTAL LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

What have I done? I have drastically cut down on the junk food. This is not to say that I don't indulge in McDonald's every now and again or a DQ Blizzard on a hot Sunday night. But, instead of getting the large Blizzard like i used to, I get the small. When cooking for myself at home, I rarely have seconds. I rarely drink soda -- although during the school year I live off Red Bull. Instead of drinking soda, I now drink something called "Reed's Ginger Brew." I do 30 minutes of exercise everyday regardless of my schedule. If it means I have to wake up at 5:30 am to get a 45 minute walk in, then that is what I have to do.

I should explain something here too, I can't drive. In order for me to get around Vermillion, SD, I walk or I ride my bike. Talk about a lifestyle change. Try not driving for one week -- not only will you be forced to make drastic changes, you WILL lose weight... and you'll lose it in a very healthy way.

This is just one guy's struggle with substance abuse (and food is a substance). Change takes hard work, and at the end of the day you may not see any results, but the change has to continue... because it means your life. Coming from a family with a long line of cancer and alcoholism, if I did not start making these changes to my life at 30, I would just be another family casualty.