Thursday, July 19, 2007

Needing a Pick-Me-Up

Yesterday I was officially diagnosed with a torn MCL (I say officially because the MRI showed a tear in my ligament). Because of my injury, I’ve been placed in a new leg brace and I’ll start physical therapy next week. The expected recovery time? Five to seven weeks. Ouch.

I think the hardest part about not being able to walk is the fact that I just don’t feel good about myself. I’d always know that there was some correlation between working out and how you feel about yourself, but I didn’t realize just how much exercise really affects my mood and my self-confidence.

The last time I was able to go on a walk was last Monday – 10 days ago. Since then I can just feel myself growing increasingly moody and disgusted with myself. I know it’s silly – I’m stuck in a full leg brace and have small pains just walking down the hall. No way could I get out and walk my usual 2.5 miles. But all this time for thinking has left me with plenty of time to ponder just how much this could affect my weight and fitness level. I’m just so worried that I could really pack on the pounds from this injury. Not a good thought.

But perhaps small things will help me feel better about myself – drinking more water and less pop, starting some of the exercise recommended for physical therapy, lifting weights for my arms, really monitoring my portion sizes. There are ways that I can work around this injury. There are things I could be doing, and my weight surely isn't dependent on exercise alone. It's about finding the right combination of healthy choices.
I just need to pull myself out of this pity party and realize I am still in control of my health. No way can I let this completely ruin my outlook on dieting and fitness.

Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: