Thursday, July 12, 2007

Down it Goes

I have a somewhat embarrassing story to share.

Tuesday night I went to see the new Harry Potter movie with my sisters. We’re Harry Potter freaks and wanted to see the midnight showing. About an hour before the movie started, my sister and I went to go get a Diet Coke (you’ll soon find I’m a Diet Coke addict. It’s quite sad, actually.)

Unfortunately, after I filled up my soda I slipped on some pop and went down. I don't even remember how I landed, but I do remember reaching for my right knee and found that it had popped out of place. I think the mental picture of my knee being off to the right was more painful than the actual physical pain. Thankfully my youngest sister was there to calm me down and eventually my knee went back into place. Being a Harry Potter fanatic, I stayed through the movie, keeping it elevated and iced.

Fast forward a trip to the ER the next morning and my knee popping out four more times. I’ve been diagnosed with a torn MCL (medial collateral ligament) and will be in a leg brace and on crutches for at least a week. I’m just thankful it wasn’t something more serious, but it certainly puts a damper on things.

Given that I’m going to be spending the next week on the couch, it becomes even more vital for me to watch what I eat. Just as I was getting into the habit of going on two mile walks in the evening, this has come to an abrupt stop. It feels like I really have to examine everything I eat (and unfortunately yesterday that included a milk shake for breakfast thanks to my wonderful dad who felt bad for me and Cold Stone Creamery ice cream after dinner, compliments of a close friend.)

What’s tough is the guilt I feel for not being able to really make a valiant attempt to lose weight, which is silly. I’m holed up on the couch and it’s painfully obvious I can’t go out and walk three miles. But it’s still tough knowing that whatever I put in my body will most likely not be worked off.

Here’s to hoping this injury doesn’t completely blow my efforts at being healthier.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Although this is the first comment I've left on this blog, I've been reading all your entries.

I think it's a great idea to have someone detail their attempt to eat healthy. It's something we all would like to do, but to have someone actually offer advice and share their experience is a great motivator.

Hopefully other people see this blog as a good tool. Maybe they'll even start to leave comments!