Monday, July 9, 2007

The Buddy System

I think one of the best strategies I’ve found when trying to embark on a healthy lifestyle change is finding a good support base. Over the last few weeks my mom and I have been trying to go out on daily walks to trim down, and it helps to have someone hold you accountable. But more importantly, it gives you someone to lean on.

Sometimes we underestimate the power of the buddy system. Sometimes I tell my sisters to stop me anytime I try to snack for no reason other than sheer boredom, but what I need isn’t someone dictating what I should and shouldn’t put into my body. What I need is someone to relate to, someone to share my struggles with.

What’s hard for me is that my two younger sisters are athletes and thus have athletic builds. They have no problem going on runs or fitting into cute jeans. If they think they have tummies, they can work in off in a matter of a few weeks because of their training ability. I would pay big money to have their bodies.

I, on the other hand, wasn’t born with that athletic gene, so it’s tougher for me. I’ve found in the last year, though, that having a workout buddy does wonders. Last semester because my roommate and I were members at the same gym, I went twice as much as I would have gone. When I didn’t want to go, she would drag me to the gym and vice versa.


Being at home this summer, my mom and sisters have given me the motivation to get on more walks than I would have. During our walks, we talk about anything under the sun. But mostly we talk about the struggles in trying to lose weight and make healthier lifestyle choices. What’s worked for them in the past? How do they feel about their bodies? What seems to be their biggest challenge right now? If nothing else, it helps you realize that other people are going through the exact same thing. It helps that my mom understands when I’m upset that I don’t fit right into my favorite pair of jeans, or that I feel bad eating that second helping of pasta.

I just hope I can give my readers someone to relate to. You’re not alone. I promise.

1 comment:

Mike Keitges said...

I think another great reason for having a buddy walk with you is that you can talk to that person about just about anything.

You can talk about interests, daily life concerns...anything, just as long as it doesn't get too depressing. You could start to feel better both mentally and physically!

Sometimes you need a place to let off some steam or a time to talk to someone you feel close to about something, and a walk might be that time.