Saturday, September 8, 2007

Still Trekking

I've been back at school for a week now and I'm still struggling to find a balance in my healthy eating. With a different schedule (one that doesn't allow me to go home and actually make my lunch unless I want to wait until 2:30) and seemingly limited food options (I'm a poor college student, after all) it's hard to get my butt back in gear.

Does anyone have any tips that have been working for them?

I do notice that when I start the day off right, with a bowl of Oatmeal Squares cereal and skim meal, and eat a fairly healthy lunch, I tend to continue on my path. Isn't it funny, or perhaps frustrating is a better word choice, that once you blow your eating for the day, you automatically throw in the towel? Instead of passing it off as a mistake and continue eating healthy, instead you use it as an excuse to continue eating crap?

I've also noticed that limiting my pop intake has helped. I don't know if it's a mental thing or if it really does affect my health. While I do drink my Diet Coke from time to time, it's not as refreshing and fulfilling. I don't find myself needing to drink 4+ cans a day like I did a month ago. When I started drinking pop on a daily basis, it was mostly for the caffeine. Now I've found a secret weapon to perk me up after my 7 a.m. wake-up call - Crystal Light packets. Last week I discovered an "energizing" Crystal Light flavor. It's Wild Strawberry, and more importantly, it has caffeine. So, I'm getting in my recommended water while still getting my caffeine fix.

One thing that I'm hoping to start next week is a food diary. I've heard of situations where they really do help because they keep you reliable. With my evening snacking habits (mostly out of boredom and to avoid homework), I think I forget that those calories count, too. I can do well all day, but then boredom hits and I find myself heading toward the fridge every hour or so. Not good. Perhaps by starting a journal I can keep myself on track better and really know whether or not I need those extra calories. Maybe for a day or two next week I'll even post my intake on this blog. That should really get me to be good!

No comments: