Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gym Rat

Thursday was a big day for me. Why, you may ask?

Because I've been given the go-ahead to start working out again. I couldn't be more excited!

For those of you who are new to the blog, I actually tore my MCL back in July. Since then I've been going to physical therapy three times a week to get the strength and motion back in my leg. It's probably been the biggest challenge I've ever had to take on in my life, but I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thursday at physical therapy, I rode a bike. And for therapy, that's huge. I'm still not quite done with my rehabilitation, but just knowing that I can go back to the gym is an accomplishment and sense of relief in it of itself.

You see, while I have managed to lose 7 pounds and really evaluate my eating habits and emotional eating, I haven't been able to work out. And working out is such an essential part to the weight-loss process that I felt like I couldn't accomplish anything. But that's all about the change.

I do know, however, that I won't be back up to speed for quite a few months. I know I won't be running on the treadmill or biking for an hour. But every little bit helps. I'm sure we've all heard it, but something is better than nothing. If you can't carve an hour out of your day to exercise, that's fine. Try to get in 10 minutes. To lose weight, you don't have to be a gym rat. You just have to make sure you're getting the balance of eating right and exercising. This is not only the healthy way to lose weight, but also the best way to ensure that the weight doesn't creep back on.

So tomorrow (or perhaps even tonight), for the first time in 10 weeks, I'll finally be able to work out again. : )

No comments: