Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thanks for the Tips

I've been looking forward to Thanksgiving for longer than I can even admit to. It's a few days where I get a break from reality and it kicks off the holiday season. But I won't lie when I say Thanksgiving could be tough.

Typically I'm of the mindset that Thanksgiving only comes once a year, so why not splurge? The problem? Thanksgiving starts off the splurge that doesn't end until New Year's Eve when I undoubtedly make a resolution to drop some unwanted pounds.

So this year, I'm going to try harder to at least monitor how much I'm eating. It's interesting because what I eat tends to be fairly balanced. Turkey and eggs for protein, potatoes for carbs, cressant roles for grains, corn and green beans for vegetables. It seems pretty balanced. And yet the average person can eat around 2,000 calories. Ouch.

Thankfully I stumbled upon a 10 Tips for a Thinner Thanksgiving site that actually may help me and others hold themselves more accountable. Two things really got my attention. One, skip seconds. That tends to be a problem with me. I eat more just because I can, not because I'm hungry. Two, the site recommends that you don't eat things that you could eat any day of the year. This is a bit hard since Thanksgiving may not be complete without some of those items, but it does have a point.

Feel free to share your Thanksgiving and holiday dieting tips here. The American Cancer Society is about to launch it's Great American Health Challenges, so we're going to try our best to stay healthy this holiday season.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Liz, thank YOU for the Thanksgiving eating tips. I always find myself eating way too much and than regretting it later. But of course, maybe a better idea would be monitoring how much a person eats, rather than not eating at all.

Keep up the good work!