Saturday, November 24, 2007

Isn't it Ironic?

Well, we've made it through one holiday. I admit I ate more than I wanted to, but it's all about getting back on track.

Here's something that's been bogging my mind for a few days. Wednesday night, since it'd been awhile, I decided to step on the scale. I'd eaten somewhat poorly that day, and since it was nearly 10 p.m. at night I thought the number would just make me cringe.

But the weird part was that it was okay.

When I started the Eat Right Challenge at the end of July, I was X pounds (like I'm really going to disclose that - ha). I started really, but after my torn MCL and once I got back to school, it's like my diet plummeted. I haven't been feeling healthy, be it because of my lack of consistent exercise, imbalanced meals or insane amounts of Diet Coke. Perhaps it's a combination of all three - I just don't feel good about myself.

Anyway, I pretty much stayed around X for quite some time. Some days it'd be less (those are the good days) and then there would be days where I was above (those days make me want to start monitoring every calorie that goes into my body).

But here's the thing. When I stepped on the scale at 10 p.m. Wednesday night, I was four pounds less than my X weight. Two nights later, wondering how much I'd gained thanks to the holiday, I stepped on the scale at 7 p.m. and was X minus six. How weird is that?!

How does that work? How can I be less than my X weight but feel much, much less healthy? I'm starting to think that the number on the scale really has no meaning or value. I could exercise everyday and eat healthy day in and day out, and still be X. Or I could be as unhealthy as I currently am (mostly due to stress, I think) and be X minus five pounds.

It's a mystery to me.

No comments: