Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Owning Up

Yesterday on the way to one of my classes, there were a group of us catching up about news and gossip we'd heard over the long weekend. One girl mentioned that one of her friends was just getting over mono and had lost 15 pounds from it.

No joke, three of them immediately said, "I want to get mono!" One girl, who is getting married in December, promptly said, "Mono is the only way I'm going to look good in my wedding dress." She's probably a size four or six.

When did our vision get so tainted? I don't get it. Now we're hoping to get mono just to drop 15 pounds? You're willing to feel miserable and exhausted and unable to do anything just to lose 15 pounds? What happened to the good old fashioned way of eating right and exercising?

I'm the same way, so I can't really judge, but why are we always looking for easy answers? We all know that hard work pays off. You can get the high GPA or the great job or a stable relationship unless you really work at it. Why do we assume it should be different for losing weight?

A little hard work never hurt anyone. I know why I'm not seeing results and feeling healthy. And instead of sitting around just waiting for mono, I should be going to the gym on a more consistent basis and eating balanced meals.

Sometimes you just can't help but shake your head at all the silly comments people make about ways to lose weight.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

You might tell them about my experience with mono. First, the migraine-like headaches. Then the dehydration so bad I had to be hospitalized for 3 days and given IV's. Then the 30 days of bed rest.

Or, they could take a few minutes every day to make the right choices about eating and take about 30 minutes to have a physical workout.

I've done both. I choose the latter.

Happy Thanksgiving.-)