Sunday, June 8, 2008

One Step at a Time

As with all things in life, my eating right and striving for a healthier lifestyle has had it's ups and downs the last few weeks.

Two weeks ago I casually started small. I wasn't making it too strict since I was just starting out, but two weeks ago I decided to cut pop out of my diet (my reliance on Diet Coke got to be ridiculous), tried to not eat seconds and tried not to eat after 9 p.m., since nighttime snacking appears to be my weakness.

Surprisingly, I stuck with all three, with the exception of two meals where I had seconds.

It really shocked me. Normally I try to be very strict and regimented with my diet. But I actually found that by just saying to myself, "You know, it'd be great if you could get pop out of your diet, but if you had a can, we'll try again tomorrow." But the more days I'd go without pop, the more encouraged I'd become. And now it's been two weeks since I've touched pop!

This week I didn't do as well with eating, but I got to the gym three times. For a gal who hadn't been there in a number of weeks (think back to February or March....), it was a big accomplishment for me.

Granted, my approach may not work for all. However, it may work for some. Each week I try to implement one or two dietary changes. And instead of beating myself up over it if I fail, I start up again. That may have been my failing aspect with previous diets. I don't have to hate myself for a slip up, and I don't have to make a million and one changes to kick off a diet. I want this to be a LIFESTYLE change, and to do that, I have to casually work these habits into my life. I can't expect to wake up and all the sudden be a healthy eater or an avid athlete. These things take time.

Goals for this week:
Hitting the gym at least 3 times (started last week)
Continuing with no pop (started 2 weeks ago)
Drinking 4-6 glasses of water a day
Eating a fruit or veggie with every dinner

No comments: