Friday, June 13, 2008

It Seems Backwards....

Here's something I'm discovering about myself this summer.

In almost every diet book you read, and even common sense tells you this, you are advised to find a workout or diet buddy. You need some sort of support system, something to keep you in check and make sure you get to the gym.

Do you know what's weird with me? I almost work better solo, and it seems weird.

I told you in my last entry how I just told myself I was going to give up pop and not eat seconds. It wasn't something I told family or friends or anyone. I kept it to myself, and I found success.

This week, however, I started talking to more people who I felt could be my support system. Instead of finding it helpful, I just found myself feeling more guilty and beating myself up more. Now that they know that I'm not supposed to have pop and remind me of this, I feel like there's more resentment, and there really doesn't need to be.

I wonder why that is. About a year and a half ago, I had a workout buddy and it worked out wonderfully! She was so positive and made our walks fun. It was a great experience and I understood why you should find someone to partner with for the weight-loss journey.

But lately, I don't seem to want that. It almost feels more restrictive for me because I know other people are going to be making sure I workout and do what I say I'm going to do, and that's not how I want to make a lifestyle change. But common sense tells me I need this.

Does anyone else find that they have this mindset? Does anyone have success stories about dieting/working out with buddies? I'm just curious to see how other people use the buddy system to help them find success.

No comments: