Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring

My apologies for not posting recently. It's been a busy couple of weeks, but spring is finally here and soon it will be summer.

But spring typically means one thing for dieters alike - bathing suit season is coming. Soon it will be time to start going without the baggy sweatshirts and coats and instead wearing short-sleeve shirts. Not so good for a gal like me who hasn't worked out too much.

The good thing about spring, though, is that it seems to put a bounce back in everyone's step. Not only are we happy to have more hours of daylight and warmer weather, but more people seem to be out and about, taking their exercise routines outdoors.

I've really noticed that in the past year or so, I'm much, much more motivated to "workout" when I just get to go outside for a walk. Particularly if I go with a friend, it never feels like working out. It's just a relaxing time. My body feels much better physically and emotionally than if I had spent a hour in a warm gym staring at the clock.

I also think spring is great for re-evaluating my eating habits. Typically in the colder weather, we crave heavier foods - potatoes, meat, cream-based soups, pasta. Not that those things are bad, but I opt for those instead of the fruits, veggies, chicken and fish I should be eating. I mean, just look at the recipes on the ACS website. Don't they just scream spring and summer?

All I know is that I'm going to use this extra bounce in my step to start the season off right. My resolutions may not have been successful the first few months, but you know what? It's a new time a year. Let's dust off those sneakers, stash away the comfort food and embrace the wonderful weather and even better lifestyle choices we can make.

No comments: