Sunday, March 30, 2008

Being Smart

Yesterday a friend and I were discussing what we should have for dinner. Being lazy college students, we opted to go out. We ended up going to Burger King.

Afterwards (on a walk, thankfully) we started chatting about how unhealthy we felt. Hypocritical, I know. She was commenting that her heart was probably hating her, wishing she would treat her body right. We just mentally and physical feel unhealthy.

I think, in part because we're in college although I'm sure others feel the same, we tend to think we can make exceptions with our health. We eat fast food and skip out on workouts thinking that our school work and education is going to get us farther. Our work experience and grades are more important than getting in a 30-minute workout.

But it's the healthy lifestyle that will get us to live longer. What's smarter?

Although we're young and may think we're invincible, there's research that shows otherwise. Because of my experiences at the American Cancer Society, I know that one-third of cancer deaths can be prevented just by making healthier lifestyle choices. I know of the connection between my lifestyle and cancer. Yet I still eat at Burger King habitually? It doesn't make sense.

I keep thinking about ways that we could really motivate people to lead healthier lives. I know places like Burger King are tempting, quick and easy. But does that mean we should fall for it? What would get you to take your health more importantly?

This summer I'm embarking on a lifestyle makeover. Together with my sister, we're going to make it a priority to start eating better and getting in the daily recommended exercises. But for the next six weeks, I'm going to be preparing myself for that. I'll start drinking more water and making better food choices. I want to change, and I want to make sure I can prevent future health problems with decisions I make today.

Besides, who likes taking the easy way anyway? It's time to be smart about something other than my classes.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Liz,

Great blog. Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts with us.I thought you might be interested in knowing about this:
http://www.votefortheworst.com/20080406/vote_worst_supports_american_cancer_society_and_relay_life

Best wishes,
Lynette Summerill, media relations director, American Cancer Society Great West Division