Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's All in your Head

A few months back, I took the ACS Nutrition and Activity Quiz. What's interesting, though, is how my answers seemed to change. Last summer, I ate more fruits and veggies, and I made a better attempt to get in those 30 mintues of exercise 5 times a week.

Around this time of year, though, those are in the "no" column. I'm realizing just how much seasons do affect what we eat and how much or how frequently we work out. If anything, I think it makes me feel more hopeful and optimistic going into the summer, knowing fresh fruits and veggies will be in season. Plus I'll be able to walk outside, which doesn't even compare to walking on the treadmill in a cramped gym.

That wasn't the only thing that crossed my mind, though. I was surprised to find that my eating habits aren't nearly as bad as I think they are. Granted, they could be much better. I won't deny that. But perhaps we see ourselves eating worse because we spend so much time thinking about it. Rarely do I eat fried foods, rarely do I eat high-calorie, baked goods, and when I'm down at school I don't eat a lot of red or processed meat.

As a dieter, I tend to think I'm doing a lot worse than I am, and I almost wonder if that makes dieting harder. Am I discouraged constantly by something that isn't that bad after all? Granted I could cut back on the snacking, but when I snack it's on whole bran crackers, sandwiches Like I said, it could be better. I could be eating fruits or veggies, but I'm not constantly eating pies and doughnuts. Yet in my mind, it's like I am.

Maybe I need to have a better appreciation for what I'm eating and take a more realistic approach. You hear about so many fad diets, but whenever I go to the ACS website for information on eating right, I'm reminded that things are only as difficult as you make them. It's about making good food choices when you can and getting in the recommended exercise throughout the week. It's not cutting everything out of your diet or limiting yourself.

Sometimes I really think this dieting thing is a mind game....

Does anyone have similar experiences or thoughts?

No comments: