Thursday, February 28, 2008

Squeeze It In

I was browsing the ACS website and came across something really interesting. Turns out, I don't have to always spend hours at the gym.

Last week my roommate and I were talking about why it is we don't workout as often as we should. What did it boil down to? Time. In our minds, workouts have to be 45-60 minutes. Plus you throw in the time getting there, getting back, showering, and that takes up 90-120 minutes. That's not something we all have time to do.

But that's now how it has to be. According to ACS, it may work better for some people to break it down into three of four 10-minute workouts. Working out doesn't have to be so daunting and time-consuming. It'd be great if I could get the recommended 30 minutes five days a week, but I could break it up. Chances are I'd be more inclined to get my butt out of bed in the morning 10 minutes early to pop in a workout DVD for ten minutes as opposed to getting up an hour earlier. It's all about the baby steps.

Perhaps that will be my goal for next week. I'll try 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes during my lunch break and then 10+ minutes during the evening. Maybe then the task won't seem so time-consuming and I'll have energy throughout the entire day. It's worth a shot, right?

Any tips you have on squeezing in your physical activity?

No comments: