Saturday, February 2, 2008

Good Intentions

Yesterday two good friends of mine and I were going to detox for the weekend. We all feel like we put a lot of crap into our bodies between the food we eat and all the pop we drink. We wanted to flush out our bodies and then start a healthy lifestyle on Monday.

That was the goal.

We didn't make it.

Initially we didn't think the detoxing would be that hard. For lunch and dinner you have a cup of whole grains (they suggested 100% natural rice), 3 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables. We thought it would be okay. After lunch when I was in the library, however, I realized that I couldn't just go cold turkey on things like carbs, protein and caffeine. I couldn't focus, my stomach was growling and I was just in a terrible mood. Who knew you could feel like that after eating healthy?

Ultimately, the three of us decided that's it's not about restricting yourself. That's something I learned from the American Cancer Society last summer. It's about portion control. It's about listening to your body and knowing when you're hungry and full. So today, I started fresh. I had yogurt and orange juice for breakfast, and then a sandwich and salad for lunch. I don't need to detox to feel healthy. I can just make better food choices.

Here's to a new year...a month later. But, I suppose it's better than waiting another 11 months, right?

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Hi Liz, I have heard of so many different ways to detox. This one actually sounds like one of the easier ones. Some restrict your food a lot more.

Whole grains are carbs, but I know what you mean about craving more carbs. I think you are right though to listen to your body. Eating right is one meal at a time and all the 'good stuff' helps in the long run.