Friday, August 8, 2008

We Need to Talk...

This relationship isn't work. My relationship with food, that is.

I was chatting with one of my co-workers about dieting. She's been on quite an interesting diet for the last few weeks, and she's had some great results. One of her more amazing accomplishments, though, is that she feels like she's fueling her body. She doesn't miss all the crap, for like of a better word, that we typically find ourselves eating.

She also drinks about a gallon of water a day, saying that it's just become habit. Instead of reaching for pop, which I generally do, she brings in 1-liter water bottles and just drinks those. She feels like she's flushing out all the bad stuff and just putting things in her body that help her function and live better.

Do you know how wonderful that would be? I really do think that's an amazing feat. For msyelf, eating tends to stem from my emotions. That was confirmed when I took this eating personality quiz. When I'm bored, antsy, frustrated or even excited, I eat. The only time I don't really eat is when I'm nervous, and that's simply because my stomach doesn't need anything on top of the butterflies I already feel.

It amazes me at how much eating has evolved. I don't eat to fuel my body. Well, I do, but it doesn't feel like that's the main priority for me. Mostly it's, "Oh my gosh, that looks so good!" and then I stuff it in my mouth. I don't stop to ask myself if I'm even hungry or if there's a better option. Eating and drinking seems to be more about instant gratification instead of eating to live.

While it won't be easy, I do think I need to take a closer look at my relationship with food. I need to start being more cognizant of what I'm eating and why. I need to start looking at my body as a machine, something that needs to be fueled with healthy, more natural foods. I really don't need to be drinking an abundance of Diet Coke and eating poptarts and ice cream. Those are okay once in a while, but I should be opting for things that will improve my life.

It's time to get out of this bad relationship with food and find a healtheir one. Literally.

No comments: