Monday, July 28, 2008

Finding Excitment

One thing in weighloss articles and podcasts that I've always rolled my eyes at is the idea that you have to find something "fun." Fun? Are you serious? Very rarely have I had a workout that's been what I consider "fun."

Then I started thinking about what really motivates me. What is it that gets me to workout hard, to not just throw in the towel? My family.

I recently read an article in Prevention magazine about a family that teamed up to take on a marathon. Almost immediately, I e-mailed my sisters and thought we should do something similar. Granted the health problems aren't to the same extent, but it's never too early to really start caring about your health.

Since then we've found a few 5Ks, 10K, half-marathons and even marathons to work our way toward. Our first 5K will be this November, which I'm super excited for. I also think it's great because it's a way to keep our family working toward a goal, especially while one of my sisters and I are off at our respective colleges.

Even though it's exercise, and in the past I might have said "Ugh! A 5K?!" now it's something I can get excited about. I can start walking, knowing that I'm working toward a specific goal and date, instead of "I'm working out in hopes of losing weight." It's more defined, and I think I need that. Plus having the support of my family makes it even better.

Who knows. Maybe I"ll start finding excitement in more physical activities. I've always wanted to take up pilates....

No comments: